The Lawrence Bursary Award (LBA)
EMS Ltd, one of East Kent’s premier manufacturing companies, has launched a bursary scheme
to award a number of grants to local higher/further education students whilst they are studying
for software design or electronic engineering qualifications.
EMS is the UK’s leading designer, manufacturer and supplier of wireless fire detection and security systems. The Company employs 105 staff and operates from a state-of-the-art facility in Herne Bay, Kent.
The Company was founded in 1967 by the Company’s Chairman Douglas Lawrence and today is an important local employer with ambitions to further expand its market presence.
Mr Lawrence’s enthusiastic commitment to electronics and radio technology is shared by the highly skilled, 20-strong EMS product development team, whose design work and innovation has helped the Company to be at the forefront in wireless fire detection. The Company’s products are used in a range of sites from royal palaces to shopping centres both in the UK and internationally
THE LAWRENCE BURSARY AWARD
EMS is keen to invest in developing technical skills in the local area and has created a fund – named after the Company’s founder – to financially assist local students who are studying for a technical qualification and who would like to gain hands-on involvement in the Company’s R&D, production engineering and electronics testing environment.
WHAT IS AVAILABLE?
•Students can apply for a bursary of up to £2,500 for the current academic year
• The opportunity to join the R&D or production and process engineering team at EMS during part of the college/university holidays
• The ability to learn about and use the Company’s product development and testing facilities whilst working with the development team
• The advantage of gaining valuable work experience prior to graduation and career decisions
WHO CAN APPLY?
• Kent-based students who are due to, or have enrolled on a full-time higher or further education course that leads to a formal academic
• The course should be electronic engineering, software design or electro mechanical based
• Students with an enthusiasm for developing their skills and who will commit to undertake a relevant EMS-specified project
complementing their formal course of study
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Places for 2016 were fully subscribed.
New applications will be accepted from January 2017 with interviews commencing in March 2017.
Students who are interested in discussing an application should contact Alison Mannering, HR Director at email@example.com
Additionally, in partnership with a number of local schools & colleges, EMS continues to provide valuable work experience for Year 12 & 13 (6th form) students. Over the past 5 years students have spent time with us in the following Departments :- Business Systems, Customer Services, Finance, Marketing, Operations, Production, Production Engineering, Research & Development, Quality and Operations.
We also deliver by request on-site presentations to Business Students.
For more information please email Marc Springthorpe-Rose, Group Business Systems Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org